Do you know that Google+ now has Communities? This new feature works like Facebook Groups, but offers more options, such as Hangouts and discussion categories.
You can read more about it here.
I joined several Communities last night and this morning, and believe that Google came up with a way to change the game and kill Facebook Groups.
Of course, only time will tell. I may end up being completely wrong!
In the meantime, here is a list of social media communities that you might be interested in joining:
- Social Media SEO – “Ber|Art Visual Design V.O.F. delivers high-end secure (PCI-Compliant) WordPress, Typo3 and Magento Linux Cloud VPS Hosting with professional Search Engine Optimization (SEO) plus Social Media (Social Network) integration, branding and strategy. See: http://hosting.ber-art.nl/ – /@BerriePelser”
- Social Media Marketing – “Learn about Facebook, Google Plus, YouTube, Twitter and more. We want to have open discussions about things you are doing successfully to market on social sites.”
- Social Media – “A chance to share news, technology and best practices.”
- Social Media Marketing – “Social media marketing test community. Post questions, discussions, and interesting links.”
- Google+ Developers – “Welcome to the official Google+ Developers community. This community is all about you! It’s a place to meet other developers using the Google+ platform, share your development tips and tricks, challenges, or just keep up to date on the latest news about the Google+ platform.”
- Content Curation – “With the Web becoming incredibly noisy and overcrowded, content curators are needed to filter relevant and desired content from the clutter. The want for high-quality content is greater than ever, and the distribution of content is always evolving. Come and join our discussion on content curation and its relevance in today’s thought leadership, lead generation, community building, traffic and SEO. Collect. Curate. Cultivate.”
- Social Media Professionals – “Hello all, sometimes you just wanna talk shop. I’m a social media professional, and I love to bounce ideas off of people – talk a little strategy – share resources. Would love to see us start a conversation here. Community managers, Social Media Managers, Social Media Strategists, Social Media Architects – whatever you call yourself – this is it. Go ahead and introduce yourself, give us your job title, your LinkedIn, blog – whatever.”
- Blogging – “This group is for bloggers to discuss everything from blogging tips to WordPress!”
How do I find Communities in Google+?
1) Enter the keyword you are looking for in the Google+ Search box.
2) Click the magnifying glass button.
3) On the results page, click the “Everything” button to bring the option menu.
4) Select “Communities”.
5) Et voilà!
What do you think of Google+ Communities? What are your favorite groups so far? Did you create any? Share links in the comment section.
by Cendrine Marrouat
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License