In this day and age, businesses, artists and individuals who seek more exposure need to have an online presence. They must find potential customers and extend their reach. Millions of Internet users spend time on social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter or Ning. So, it is where those entrepreneurs should be to create opportunities, open doors and thrive.
Today’s article focuses on Twitter. This very social platform has one great rule: 140-character messages. These messages are called “tweets” and those who post them “tweeps.” If you are an entrepreneur starting with Twitter, you can be successful! Read the five tips below.
As mentioned in the introduction, messages on Twitter are limited to 140 characters, including spaces and links. So brevity is essential. Your message must go straight to the point.
Think about your tweets as slogans. Be creative. Ask questions. Engage in discussions that will appeal to people in your niche. If your tweets are concise and efficient, you will attract a lot of followers that are right for your business. They may not buy what you have to offer, but they will recommend you to others. And in the long run, success will be knocking at your door.
Twitter is about sharing links, content and emotions. Yes, emotions. Tweeps are real human beings with real lives and real problems. So, they want to read things that concern them. If you can make it mostly about them – in the right way, of course – they will pay attention to you, share your content, and promote your name in the process.
Twitter is also about providing help and answers to questions. So, if you own a business or are an independent artist looking to reach more potential customers, watch global conversations through #hashtags. To learn more about hashtags, read this article.
When you follow conversations, you have the opportunity to engage in discussions with new tweeps. You can answer their questions or congratulate them on their achievements. They will be grateful, retweet your responses and follow you. And the more you help, the more followers you will have. However, remember that you want to attract people who will help your business as well. Giving is important, but it is also essential to be in a win-win situation.
Like anywhere else, people do not like to see too many promotional messages in their Twitter stream. Why? Because most of them are not there to buy anything. Turning tweeps into customers requires a lot of work and patience.
A rough rule of thumb is that 80 percent of your tweets should be about others; the remaining 20 percent can be used for self-promotion.
On Twitter, like anywhere else, tweeps want to connect with authentic folks. If you are not genuine, truth will always out. For example, do not call yourself a guru if you have no proven record of this claim. Too many marketers make this mistake. People do not believe in it anymore. They want unique content that will truly help them. You may have a business to run but potential customers are also human beings. As such, they deserve respect.
You may never know who reads you or who you will impact. So, build relationships based on authenticity and kindness. And most importantly, envision the big picture. The most successful entrepreneurs on Twitter share great content, are very helpful and genuine, and avoid over promotion…